This is a dish I just slap together and bake. I have yet to have leftovers. It is so named because of it's similarity to shepherd's pie, yet it is lacking in key ingredients.
Total prep time: about 20 minutes
1 lb. ground beef
1 small can cream of mushroom soup
2 packages of Betty Crocker Butter instant mashed potatoes
1 can of yellow corn
1/4 cup corn flakes
1 slice of Kraft Deli Deluxe American cheese or 1/4 cup shredded cheese
salt & pepper
Tony Chachere's Special Herb Blend
Mrs Dash Onion and herbs
1. Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions, adding an extra 2 tbsp butter after blending. Add italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste while stirring. Set aside prepared potatoes.
2. Preheat oven to 375, and spray a round 2 qt casserole dish. Set aside.
3. Brown ground beef in a 10 inch skillet, adding seasonings to taste. Drain beef, return to skillet. Add mushroom soup and corn flakes, stir until well coated. Cook mixture over medium heat until a creamy consistency.
4. Open can of corn, drain. Set aside.
5. Pour beef mix into bottom of casserole, smoothing mix to fill the bottom evenly. Pour corn over the beef mixture, spreading evenly. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over corn until the casserole is filled. Spread cheese across top of potatoes.
6. Cover and bake for 20-25 minutes, until casserole is heated through.