Monday, January 19, 2009

Fix Em and Forget Em Meatballs



I made these meatballs for my son's 1st birthday party, and they were a huge hit. They were so easy to make, and worry-free. I cooked them for 12 hours on low in the crockpot, and they came out just right. This is not my original recipe,but it's definitely worth sharing, and I included my modifications. These are perfect for game day, parties, potluck, just about any gathering. This also makes an easy meal for a new mom to drop in the crockpot and forget.

3 lbs frozen meatballs
2 medium onions, cut in wedges
1 12 oz bottle of beer*
1 1/2 c ketchup
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp garlic powder**
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 c brown sugar

Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8-12 hours.

* I used Rolling Rock, but other suggestions would be Killian's Red or any other red beer.
** I used garlic salt rather than powder.

This recipe is set according to approxiametely 96 meatballs. For more meatballs, increase the amounts, for less, decrease, obviously. When I made mine, I had 120 meatballs so I increased everything by adding another 1/2 tbsp, tsp, cup, etc. The longer you let it cook, the better the flavor.

No comments: