Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hearty and Healthy Slow Cooked Minestrone Soup


Shhh! Don't tell my husband but I am having an affair. I have fallen passionately in love with my 6 qt slow cooker. My days are so much easier-for cleanup too!-these days thanks to this wonderful device. I have been craving minestrone soup for a couple of weeks now, and I finally got the chance to make it. Oh and yum, it was worth waiting for!

  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 32 oz beef broth
  • 2 c water
  • 2 15 oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/3 bag frozen zucchini, sliced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced OR 2 tbsp garlic salt (I used the latter)
  • 1 1/2 c dried multi-grain soup noodles (mine weren't multi-grain but they should have been)
  • 1 can chopped Spinach
  • 1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
  • Parmesan cheese
Additions: 1 c sliced carrots (I forgot), 1 tbsp snipped fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed, 6 c coarsely torn Swiss chard or 8 c packaged fresh baby spinach leaves (if you like a lot of spinach)

1. In your slow cooker, add the diced onion, broth, water, beans, zucchini, spinach, and tomatoes. Add garlic and stir. Set timer on 6-8 hours on low.
2. 1 1/2 hours before cook time is finished, cook your soup noodles according to package directions, however, you only want to cook them 5-8 minutes at the most (you don't want them soft), drain and add to crockpot.
3. After serving, sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the top.

This soup is Um! Um! Good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.