Sunday, December 20, 2009

Spinach, Chicken, and Wild Rice Soup


Chunky's got nothing on this soup. It doesn't seem like much when you make it, but wait til you taste it! You talk about filling? I couldn't even finish my bowl! This is really good, too. AND healthy. even for diabetics like me. You can't beat that.

3 cups water
1 14--ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 10-3/4-ounce can reduced-fat and reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
2/3 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained*
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed**
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey (about 1 pound)
2 cups shredded fresh spinach***
1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine the water, broth, cream of chicken soup, uncooked wild rice, thyme, and pepper, chicken and spinach.

2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours. Serve.


*My store didn't have wild rice so I bought a box of Long Grain Wild Rice original flavor and used the rice from the box, and added the seasoning packet to the crockpot, too.
**I didn't have any thyme, so I used italian seasoning and parsley.
***My fresh spinach wasn't looking so fresh, so I used canned. Everything still came out delicious!

No comments: