The amazing things that happen when you are feeling less then your best....this one started the night before, since I was looking to just slap some stuff together. I started boiling the noodles, only to discover a frozen Green Giant blend that I could just pop in the microwave, add some pre-cooked diced chicken to, blend together and call dinner. So, I had to figure out what to do with these noodles, because well, it's a sin for a pastaholic to waste pasta (you know, like it's a sin if an alcoholic spills her liquor, LOL). I dug through my pantry, refrigerator, and freezer and this is what I came up with (and everyone ate it!!)...
- 1 box whole wheat blend rotini noodles
- 2 jars Alfredo sauce (plain)
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, Italian blend with garlic, basil, and oregano, 1/2 drained
- 1 1/2 c green peppers and onions, diced
- 1 lb. mild Italian sausage, ground
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, garlic salt with parsley, Chef Paul Prudhomme Pizza and Pasta Magic, Italian seasoning
- 1 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 c fat free sour cream
- 1/2 c 2% small curd cottage cheese
- 2 c mozzarella or Italian blend shredded cheese
2. Brown Italian sausage in a skillet until there is no more pink. Drain off fat, and add to the pasta.
3. Add the diced tomatoes (drain 1/2 the can), green peppers and onions to the pasta and sausage, and mix. Pour Alfredo sauce over the mixture, and add the sour cream, Parmesan cheese, cottage cheese, and seasonings; stir until all the pasta is well coated. Sprinkle mozzarella over the top of the pasta.
4. Cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes or until heated through. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
You don't need to make it beforehand, but it's easy enough to do if you wish. I think refrigerating it overnight gave it a creamier texture then if I had made it fresh and put it in the oven. Any way you make it, enjoy it and feel free to leave your comments.