Tuesday, February 23, 2010

When Italian and Asian combine

Tortellini Beef Stir-fry

I have mood swings. It's true. And when I have a mood swing, I generally have no appetite. I had all this tortellini in the cabinet, bought to make soup with and never got around to making it, and a hunger for something different. I spent some time browsing through my favorite recipe sites. I came across a tortellini stir-fry recipe (aka pasta stir-fry) and my tastebuds started working overtime. I ended up making my own version of this dish and there were absolutely NO left overs, it was that good. This could easily be converted to suit a vegetarian, as well.

  • 12 oz 4 cheese tortellini
  • 3/4 lb frozen beef fajita strips*
  • 1 bag frozen sugar snap pea stir fry blend
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
For the sauce:
  • 1 pkg Kikkoman stir-fry seasoning
  • 2 tsp garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp szechuan sauce
  • 3/4 tsp teriyaki sauce
  • 1 tsp red wine or rice vinegar
  • 1/8 tsp red curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp ginger

1. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Stir-fry vegetables and beef over medium heat for 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Push to one side of the skillet.
3. Reduce heat to low. Add garlic, sauces, red curry powder, ginger and vinegar to the cleared side of the skillet. Stir. Open seasoning packet and stir until well blended. Fold stir-fry sauce into meat and veggies until coated. Add pasta and toss until coated. Heat through; serve immediately.

*chicken fajita strips can be substituted for the beef.

You can also toss in some cashews or almonds at the end for added flavor.

No comments: