Monday, March 22, 2010

Brisket in Ale-Slow Cooking at its Finest



Since I am a diabetic, I really miss a lot of my favorite foods. This is why I am SO excited when I come across a new recipe for something similar to what I used to eat. The fact that I can actually enjoy a little bit of beer in this one is a HUGE bonus. Of course, the alcohol is cooked out, so it is also family friendly. This is also a super easy meal that you can fix and forget in the crockpot

  • 1 3 to 4 lb fresh beef brisket
  • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 12 oz can beer
  • 1/4 c chili sauce
  • 2 tbsp no-calorie, heat-stable, granular sugar substitute (Splenda)
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 tbsp cold water

1. Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut brisket to fit into a 3-1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker. In the cooker place onions, bay leaf, and brisket. In a medium bowl combine beer, chili sauce, sugar substitute, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic; pour over meat in cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat and onions to a platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.

For gravy: Skim fat from cooking liquid. Measure 2-1/2 cups of the cooking liquid; discard remaining cooking liquid. In a medium saucepan stir together the cornstarch and cold water; stir in the 2-1/2 cups cooking liquid. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Pass gravy with meat.

Yum. We will be having this often!

5 comments:

Mhel said...

Hi! thanks for dropping by at my site. I love briskets. Theyre great on bread, rice, and even noodle soups. Yours looks succulent and works great with the gravy. I can imagine myself licking my fingers while grabbing a bite of this.... U

Vixen said...

I am a diabetic too! I can't wait to try this recipe!

le Chef said...

I love the name of your blog LOL!
In my kitchen it means something else entirely.
I have issues with my blood sugar, so I'm glad I found your site ..well, technically you found me - following you back!
And I now have to check out that poop thing ..

Carissa said...

Yummmm! I love crockpot recipes and things cooked in beer makes it even better. ;-)

Thanks for commenting on my How to Train Your Dragon review and for following me! :)

fraizerbaz said...

That sounds so yummy!

I'm your new Follow Me Friday follower ...

Happy Friday!
http://fraizerbaz.blogspot.com/