Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Lasagna Rollups


So I'm cheating. I found this recipe through a daily recipe subscription I get in my email. It wasn't one of the recipes suggested in the email, but that's how I found it. Being the pasta lover that I am, you could pretty much guarantee that this is going to be hitting mine and my family's pallates. The recipe is simple enough, and easy to add to. I'm going to post it in it's original form and note the changes I made along the way. (vegan alert*)

  • 8 oz whole wheat or whole grain lasagna noodles, cooked, drained and rinsed. Lay flat on towel to dry.
Sauce:
  • 1 large jar Prego spaghetti sauce, any flavor ( I like the Ricotto, Parmesan or Italian Sausage flavors for this)
  • 1 tsp fresh basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/8 cup sugar or equivalent Splenda blend
  • 1/8 tsp garlic salt

Cheese mixture:

  • 1 lb fat free ricotta
  • 4 cups shredded fat free mozzarella, reserve half for topping
  • 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated, reserve 1/4 cup for topping
  • 1 egg slightly beaten with fork
  • 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
  • 1/8 cup fresh chopped parsley, or 1 tsp dried parsley
I also recommend adding some Tony Chachere's Seasoning and Chef Paul Prudhomme's Pasta Magic.

1. Stir together sauce ingredients and set aside.
2. Spoon 1/4 sauce on bottom of 9x13 baking pan.
3. Cut lasagna noodles in half to make 2 four inch pieces of each.
4. Combine cheese mixture in medium size bowl and mix together well. Spoon onto one end of noodle, 1 heaping tbsp of cheese mixture. Roll up, starting at cheese end, and place on sauce in pan, seam side down.
5. Repeat until you are out of cheese.
6. Pour remaining sauce evenly over the manicotti. Top with remaining 1/4 cup parmesan and the remaining mozzarella. Cover with foil. May store in refrigerator until baking time.
7. Bake, with foil on for 20 minutes, at 375 degrees. Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Bake an additional 5 minutes with foil on if it was made ahead and stored in refrigerator

*This is NOT a strict vegetarian meal. It contains cheese and eggs.
**I like meat so I plan to add 1 lb ground mild Italian sausage to the sauce next time.

Edited to add a side note: I have added one box of frozen spinach and 2 cups of shredded carrots to the ricotta mixture and it was delicious also.

No comments: