Friday, September 25, 2009

Tuna Noodle Casserole



It has been too long since I made this. My family and I are on a better eating healthy kick now, so I am looking for new things to make all the time. Especially since I stopped cooking from a box. I don't know why I haven't made this in so long. I had forgotten how tasty it can be! This was a winner in my house, even my so picky daughter loved it. This will be on the menu more often.

  • 1 bag wide egg noodles (I used ones that had no egg in them)
  • 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
  • 2 cans light tuna in water, drained and flaked
  • 1 can of peas (you can use frozen also)
  • 1/2 c diced onions
  • 1/2 c diced celery
  • 1 c milk (I used 1/2 c milk, 1/2 c water)
  • 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
  • breadcrumbs
  • your favorite seasonings

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray casserole pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Boil noodles as instructed until they are al dente. Drain and set aside.
3. Melt butter in a skillet and saute onions and celery until soft but not mushy. Add in peas, soup, tuna, seasonings, and milk. Mix well, and let it thicken slightly.
4. Pour the mix in the skillet over the noodles and mix well, coating noodles. Pour in the casserole pan and even it out.
5. Sprinkle the cheese generously across the top of the mix. Lightly sprinkle breadcrumbs across the top of the cheese. (I added a sprinkle of parsley over the breadcrumbs).
6. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbling.

No comments: