Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Chicken and Pepperoni



I am recently over the past couple of months diagnosed with diabetes. This is NO FUN considering my diet consists of LOTS and LOTS of yummy pasta (stock full of carbs!) so I have been in search of good recipes that not only my family will like, but that I can eat as well. I got lucky on this one since I wasn't too sure about it. Even my picky 9 year old said it was good...

  • 3 1/2 to 4 lbs meaty chicken pieces (I used boneless/skinless breasts and thighs), skinned
  • 1/8 tsp salt and pepper
  • 2 oz sliced pepperoni (I used mini pepperoni)
  • 1/4 c sliced pitted ripe olives (I omitted the olives and used 1/4 c diced onions and green peppers instead)
  • 1 c chicken broth (or reduced sodium), or 3/4 of a 10 oz can
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 c shredded mozzerella cheese

1. Place chicken is a 3 1/2 to 5 qt slow cooker. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Cut pepperoni slices in half (I omitted this step). Add pepperoni and olives to cooker. In a small bowl whisk together chicken broth, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning. Add to mixture in cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken, pepperoni, and olives to a serving platter. Discard cooking liquid. Sprinkle chicken with cheese. Cover loosely with foil and let stand for 5 minutes to melt cheese.

I made some ranch veggie mix sprinkled with an herb enfused olive oil and brown rice blend on the side and put my chicken on top. It tasted GREAT!

No comments: